Late today, my son had an opportunity to speak with the sophomore guidance counselor. He was quite passionate about his ability to do well in Latin if he was merely given another chance. She was moved. She agreed with him that he could take Latin II-b this spring and go into Latin III in the fall. He came home and let me know that this was the option he prefers and that any other option will not meet with satisfactory results. I have emailed the guidance counselor and the IEP holder and let them know that while I do not appreciate them offering him options that I have already stated I did not approve of, now that they have he is unwilling to abide by the options that I gave him. I have been manipulated into a corner. My son will be taking the class he wants in the spring. He will be failing it and many things will be miserable as a result. The school does not seem to have his educational needs as the priority. They seem to think that a child they have never even met with before is more capable of deciding his best interests than the parent who has fought tooth and nail for him against the school system for years. I am at a loss. If I insist that he retake the classes he has failed already, then he will willfully fail them. If I let him take the class he wants, then he will fail anyway. I have no good choices.