We have been having a little trouble with our 10-year-old son at the public elementary school. He is the smallest child in 5th grade. But he is also the smallest child in 4th and 3rd grades. He gets picked on by the other kids. He comes home and cries about no one liking him and having no friends. His general personality is immature. he had some health problems when he was a toddler and although his intellect seems to have luckily not been affected, his physical and emotional maturity was. So, even though he is 10, he acts like a 6 or 7-year-old most of the time. This sets him apart with other kids his age. He has begged almost every day this school year to be absent. We finally decided that he was having too much stress associated with school. His home behavior was deteriorating due to the stress levels from school. So, we looked into the local private school.
I spent most of the past week dealing with switching him from the public school to the private school. I have had a tour and walk through and meeting with the counselor. My son has spent an entire day there “shadowing” another boy in his grade level. I have filled out pages and pages of paper work. Filed tons of papers for transfers. My son has taken hours of admittance tests. And right now, it looks very like he will start the new semester at the private school in January.
He wants to make the change. We would never have forced him or coerced him to move. He is excited about it. In the public school, he is one of about 200 5th graders. His needs tend to get overlooked since there are so many students. The teachers don’t notice when someone makes mean or snide remarks to him. At the private school he will be one of less than 40 5th graders. I think he will do better socially in a small group. And the teachers will be able to know more about individuals. He is more than academically capable of making the private school transition. I am hoping it will all go well.
I am a little apprehensive. I mean, what if he doesn’t fit in well? What if the other kids do single him out? What if he ends up not doing well academically? I don’t know what we’ll do then. I guess we can just switch him back to the public school. But I know that isn’t working already. As a parent, I think I worry too much.
Ugh. What else? Oh! He has an appointment at the end of December to see and endocrinologist. They are going to see if they need to intervene in his growth before puberty. My daughter is about 4 or 5 inches taller than him already. He is really very short. Maybe 52 or 53 inches tall? He is below the 5% mark for his age group. So, we will see a specialist and check if there needs to be anything done. I am really nervous about that. I am not keen on intervention.